Thursday, May 26, 2011

Addison's Birth-day

I have said this before but it seems like just yesterday we were sharing our wonderful news with our family and friends. This pregnancy sure went by fast and I really enjoyed each and every minute of it. Josh and I both slept pretty well the night before Addison's birthday, as well as you can sleep knowing you are hours away from meeting this amazing miracle. We left our house with the biggest smiles on our faces for a 5:30 am check-in at the hospital. My doctor decided to induce me after seeing Addison's growth the last few weeks of my pregnancy. Addison was ready to meet all of us and we were sure ready to meet her! We could not believe that the next time we pulled into our driveway would be with our little girl, bringing her home to start the rest of her life.
 

We were all checked in and meds started by 6:15 if not earlier and the waiting began... We had our sweet family there throughout the day which was a great distraction from looking at the monitors and waiting for the next check-up by the nurses. Throughout the morning, we saw very little progression but my contractions were getting pretty intense. I requested my epidural around noon so I could relax and enjoy the rest of labor. For some reason I wasn't nervous about the epidural and I am glad I didn't worry (or wait longer) because my anesthesiologist was fantastic. It was a quick and painless 10 minute procedure.

Around 5:30 pm my OB, Dr. Banks, came by for another visit. After reviewing my chart and the "lack of progression" she felt this was Addison's way of telling us she wasn't coming the traditional way. We knew from my very first prenatal visit that this was a possibility due to how my pelvis was shaped so we were somewhat prepared. I looked at Josh and together we said, "Let's do it". My L&D team immediately started prepping me for surgery and Dr. Banks told us we would meet our little girl in 20 minutes! I then looked back at Josh and took a deep breathe.  In that moment, I realized what was about to happen and of course, started crying. Josh looked at me and said, "Want me to get your Mom?". He knows me too well, yes - I needed my Mom. Not that Josh couldn't comfort me but I just needed a Mom hug... there are times when a Mom hug makes everything better. Not that anything was wrong but I hadn't ever been in a hospital before much less surgery and just didn't know what to expect.  I pray our little girl needs a lot of "mom hugs" in the future.
Our lives were about to change forever and we were both full of so many emotions.
 They wheeled me into the OR to get everything ready and made Josh wait in the recovery room until it was time. There was music playing as soon as we got in the room and I mean they were jammin'.  They even asked me if the music was an okay selection.  I might have preferred something other than Kesha on any other day but I didn't mind. They were having a birthday party for our sweet girl! I was loving every minute!

No comments: