Monday, November 7, 2011

A Week Full of Firsts

Last week was a week full of firsts for our little one.  It was all about
SWEET POTATOES,
BATH SEATS,
HAIR TRIMS,
and HIGH CHAIRS.

As I posted here, we went for Addison's 6 month checkup and got the green light to start new solids besides just cereal.  We could have started earlier as Addison was more than ready and LOVES to eat but I wanted to wait for the official okay.
I have contemplated making my own baby food for some time but really wanted the advisement of our pediatrician to make the jump.  Why did I consider making my own?  Because we have a food processor we got as a wedding gift 5+ years ago that hasn't ever been used, it is cheaper, I heard it was pretty easy, you know exactly what your baby is getting etc.  What did we decide?  After much discussion with our pediatrician, we opted for the pre-made stuff, at least for now.   Dr. G's perspective is that she will be eating all kinds of food in just a few short months, it was our decision but that he was absolutely fine with going pre-made.  Josh and I do not eat organically so we were also advised to not start Addison on an organic diet unless we were going to change our ways too and that wasn't happening in this household.     Decision made and sweet potatoes it was!
{pause play list at the bottom to hear the video}
I am a little intrigued to find something Addison won't eat because so far, she LOVES it all!  She took to cereal the very first time we gave it to her, oatmeal was just as pleasing and sweet potatoes were a hit!  Since then, we have introduced apples and green beans too!
So, after a very successful feeding and a not-so-dirty baby, it was bath time.  Bath seats must be old-school because they do not sell them anywhere except online (amazon.com).  I used to bathe my cousins in a bath seat when I babysat and I am sure nowadays they are very unsafe according to "the experts" but we went with it anyway.  Such rebels we are!  Right up there with putting Addison in a walker!  Addison isn't quite ready to sit in the big tub herself and her baby bathtub was no longer working for us.
So much better!  I can still get her clean and she is much more stable.  Success!
For the past couple months I have been telling Josh that we have to take Addison for a haircut.  Her hair was 2 inches down her back, in her eyes, and just all around out of control.  So the other night, I grabbed the scissors and decided I was just going to trim it myself while she was in the tub.  Josh thought I had lost my mind.  I admit, it could have been a very bad thing, but with high anxiety confidence, I went for it and it turned out pretty good.  I probably didn't cut as much as I should but I cut enough to get it out of her necks rolls in the back and out of her eyelashes in the front should she happen to be out and about with a bow.
{before the cut}

I now have some updating to do in Addison's Baby Book and a little piece of her hair to tape into it.  Yes, my baby book has a lock from my first trim so of course, Addison's needs to have hers.  And yes, Josh thinks I am really losing it for keeping her hair.  Please tell me someone else does this, not just the Creed family!?

And... this past Saturday, Addison sat like a big girl in her high chair for the first time for breakfast.
So many wonderful memories.  We cannot wait to see what is next!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I'm impressed that you cut Addison's hair. Everyone keeps telling me Jack needs a haircut, but I can't bring myself to cut it just yet. And, of course, whenever we do cut it, there will be a lock of hair in his baby book. You are NOT crazy!

Becky Barner said...

Love the bath seat idea. I too, will be rebelling and buying one :) Addison is precious!!